Foster Grandparent Program of Monterey,
San Benito, Santa Cruz & Santa Clara Counties
Foster Grandparents earn a tax-free stipend while serving as volunteer mentors and tutors to disadvantaged children and youth in schools, Head Start Centers and other agencies. Join a popular and respected national program that’s been active in your community for over thirty years.
Who can be a Foster Grandparent?
Foster Grandparents are individuals age 55 and over who thrive on direct interaction with children and believe they can make a difference in their lives. They are interested in providing 15 - 20 hours per week of volunteer service and have an individual annual income of less than $22,000.
Foster Grandparent Program Advantages:
- Encourages volunteer work from a neglected portion of the community: low-income seniors.
- Measurably improves the academic performance of children and youth who are tutored and mentored.
- Exposes children and youth to the companionship, emotional stability, and expertise of seniors.
- Brings senior volunteers into direct one-on-one contact with children and youth with special needs.
- Non-taxable stipend increases monthly income of senior volunteers by 30%.
- Gives status and meaning to the life of seniors who might otherwise spend all their time at home.
Benefits: Foster Grandparents are able to make strong emotional connections with children and get a great deal of satisfaction from making a difference in their lives. In addition, they receive the following:
- Tax-free stipend averaging $220 per month. It is not income and cannot be used to calculate eligibility for federal and state entitlements like Social Security, SSI, MediCare, MediCal, HUD housing, etc.;
- Monthly training session including all-you-can-eat lunch;
- Reimbursement for transportation – mileage or bus pass;
- A hot meal each day at the work site or a cash lunch subsidy;
- Paid vacation and sick leave;
- Accident and liability insurance while on duty; and
- Annual Recognition Luncheon and Gifts.
Toll Free number: 1-800-945-0099 ext.12
About Foster Grandparent Program factsheet download
Foster Grandparent Program Annual Impact Study: 2011-2012 School Year impact study download
November 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012
November 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011